Off on summer adventures

The blog has been neglected while I work on videos from my summer fishing adventures. Those inquisitive enough to check my YouTube channel and the video links on this blog have discovered some videos from Harriet Lake, a how-to on my custom rod holder and some teasers from my BC trip. More recently you may have seen my Netarts Bay Crabbin' video that I posted the other day. I was hoping to add some footage from a fly fishing Tuna trip and some salmon trips to the gorge but those ended up being cancelled or a bust. And, I still have footage from a two Trillium Lake trips that I haven't used but will hopefully show up later this year.

Highlighting my summer was a trip to BC fly fishing for wild steelhead. The trip proved great for both weather and fish and the entire experience could only be described as a trip of a lifetime. I am choosing to keep the river nameless primarily as a way to protect it. I struggle with this because the river is quite remote, but certainly not out of reach for those who desire to experience a world-class wild steelhead fishery. During my trip, there were only a handful of anglers on the river who were not part of our group. This obviously made for some fantastic fishing but I would suspect that if the river were more accessible, the opportunities for the wild steelhead in the river to thrive would certainly be at risk. And, even without significant pressure, the other anglers in the group said the year was quite special and not one likely to be repeated for many years.

I am exploring the idea of getting involved with the Native Fish Society and becoming a River Steward. I have a friend who is quite active in this group and another who is becoming active. The group tackles big issues on significant rivers close to the Portland area, as well as throughout the Northwest. Protecting native fish populations close to major metropolitan areas is a major undertaking but with huge rewards. However, challenges abound from many sides. This is a topic I expect I will explore in future posts.

In the meantime, I am continuing to look for new adventures in my Hobie Outback including longer films with multiple cameras and audio. My favorite so far is Bookend Browns from the Harriet Lake trip. With September and October offering some of the best fishing of the year, I suspect I will be fishing more and probably saving up my stories and posting them during the cold winter nights while enjoying a warm drink.

So please be patient.

Go farther. Catch more.

Comments

Melanie Daryl said…
That was a huge steelhead! Long ago, those steelheads are considered a member of the trout species, but now many consider that fish as closely related to a pacific salmon. Anyhow, we are looking forward to more posts about your fishing quest. Enjoy!

Melanie Daryl

Popular posts from this blog

Starting The Season With A New Fleet

Looking towards 2021 while glancing in the mirror.

2021 Fishing Season Salmon No. 5 and 6